I threw this together for lunch
today a couple of days ago (oops, a bit late on publishing it). I didn’t want to leave the house and I wanted something healthy. It turned out to be very tasty so I thought I’d share!
- 1 cup (dry) organic long grain brown rice
- 1 (15 ounce) can organic black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 1/2 cups frozen corn, thawed
- 4 fresh tomatoes, diced
- 1/2 cup red onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional, if you’d like a bit more of a kick)
- Green and/or red peppers could be added. I would have liked to use them, but I didn’t have any on hand.
1. Cook brown rice according to package directions (add cayenne pepper if you choose to do so)
2. In a mixing bowl, combine black beens, corn, onion, tomato, cilantro, oil, salt, and pepper
3. To serve, scoop rice into a bowl. Add a generous amount of the salsa mixture. Stir together.
I looked up recipes for something similar and just combined about 5 different ones to make this. I am horrible at following recipes. The amounts I gave you aren’t exactly what I used, but I couldn’t tell you what I did because I just made it up. I gave you specific amounts for those who prefer to follow directions specifically. I usually just add as much of things as I’m in the mood for…a terrible way of cooking, I know. Don’t follow my lead.
Happy Cinco de Mayo!
You make things look good that I don’t even like! 🙂
You’re really cute em.